Plastic Surgery: When The Results Aren’t What Was Promised
When it comes to plastic surgery, there are no guarantees. Every situation is different. Like other types of surgeries, cosmetic procedures aren’t surefire, and the outcomes may vary from patient to patient.
Nonetheless, your surgeon has a responsibility to be upfront with you about what to expect. Far too often, doctors make promises they can’t uphold. They may even show you a photo of what you can expect to look like — which turns out to be a far cry from the actual outcome. In these situations, you may be entitled to compensation.
What Else Can Go Wrong?
Even though plastic surgeries are typically elective, the surgeons who perform them must still live up to professional standards. There’s a common public perception that plastic surgeons care more about money than about individual patients. Unfortunately, in some cases, that turns out to be true.
Inexcusable errors can happen in any type of cosmetic surgery, including:
Breast implants: Negligence can lead to disastrous outcomes in breast augmentation surgeries. Before and after photos are critical for these cases. They can plainly document irregularities that may have been caused by negligence, such as:
- Excessive scarring
- Uneven breast size
- Uneven nipple level
- Oversized implants (or overfilling of saline implants)
- Improper positioning of the implant (which can cause the suture line to open, leading to bleeding and necrosis)
- Eyelid surgery: If too much fat or skin is taken out of the upper or lower lid, the patient may not be able to close the eyelid properly. This can result in injury to the muscles or damage to the tear ducts, causing dry eye or constant eye drainage that requires medical attention.
- Tummy tuck: If bleeding occurs after a tummy tuck and is not addressed in a timely manner, the patient could suffer a severe loss of tissue. Doctors need to be monitoring patients for this situation.
- Facelift: A full facelift is a drastic procedure requiring extensive experience on the part of the surgeon. If there is an abundance of scarring, negligence may have occurred as the scars should be thoroughly hidden in the hairline and absent from view. Also, if a nerve is nicked or cut, the negligence can result in facial nerve palsy or Bell’s palsy. This devastating condition causes uncontrolled drooling, drooping of part of the face and speech problems.
We’ll Help You Pursue Accountability
When doctors negligently perform these surgeries, they should be held accountable. At the law firm of Barry D. Lang, M.D. & Associates, we can help you pursue a malpractice claim for any negligence that occurred before, during or after your procedure.
Based in the Boston area, our firm has a respected reputation throughout Massachusetts for effective advocacy on behalf of injured patients. A significant strength of our practice lies in the fact that we have doctors and nurses on staff. As a result, our team understands both the medical and legal issues that affect these cases.
To discuss your concerns with a member of our firm, please call 1-877-LAW-DOCS or contact us online for a free consultation.